Friday, January 20, 2012

Wanderlust

Wanderlust - a strong desire for or impulse to wander or travel and explore the world  (at least that's what Wikipedia tells me).
                                               
I am 34. I want to study abroad. I want to take photography classes in Paris; study Gallery Management in London. I dream about studying art history in Florence and finally moving to California - hopefully getting a job at MOCA. Is this realistic? I don't know, but I do know that this is not just some fleeting feeling. It is a deep ache - a need. It took me ten years to graduate college because I worked full time while taking classes part time. I never interned with artists and photographers. I worked for lawyers. I was never happy doing this, but it was unavoidable. Now that I am a little older, I want those experiences. I want to travel and learn and see everything that I can, but I do not know if I am being fair to myself, to my husband and to any family we might have.

I've read so many blogs and stories about people who gave up their jobs to start businesses or go back to school. This is a brave and bold move. Am I selfish for wanting to do the same thing? The word Wanderlust always pops in to my head when I think about studying abroad, but I don't know if this quite describes me. Is there a word for the need to constantly be learning while traveling? If there is, I think that would be a better way to describe me.

Photo courtesy of Flickr

No comments:

Post a Comment